Being consumed by a good book just fills up my soul. I've found myself digging into some AMAZING books the last six months and I want to share some of my favorites with you. In no particular order I'm going to share them below.
- Love Warrior By Glennon Doyle Melton:
You guys. This story is beautiful. Glennon walks us through the story of her marriage, of losing her self and her identity and of coming home into her truth, love and her power. I connected to this on so many levels because for so long I identified myself based on how seemingly "great" my marriage looked. While this book was centered around the story of her marriage, I feel like ALL women could relate to this book and it's empowering message to be a warrior for love.
NOTE: I listend to this on Audible and would 100% recommend it. I loved hearing her story in her words.
2. The Universe Has Your Back By Gabrielle Bernstein
The sub-title of this book is: Transform Fear To Faith and all be dammed it help me do just that. Gabby walks you through stories, tools and resources to help you stay in the "flow". The flow being, connected to your power and seeing life through eyes of love. I read this book at a time in my life where I was struggling with being a woman in her power, I allowed myself to be open to the tools in this book and it radically changed the way I do life.
" When readers follow this path, they’ll begin to feel a swell of energy move through them. They will find strength when they are down, synchronicity and support when they’re lost, safety in the face of uncertainty, and joy when they are otherwise in pain. Follow the secrets revealed in this book to unleash the presence of your power and know always that The Universe Has Your Back."
Note: I listened to this on Audible and again, would highly recommend it. However, I also got the hard copy because there were a lot of parts I wanted to highlight and come back to often.
3. Pussy: A Reclamation By Regena Thomashauer
I urge you not to judge the book on the title and read my experience with the book.
It will CHANGE YOUR LIFE.
This book is full of the things we as women were never taught. This book is the ultimate tool that'll teach you how to step back into your power as a women and connect to your feminine power.
"Here’s what you’ll learn:
- The key practices required to seek and speak your deepest truth, no matter what
- How to embody radical self-celebration, and why it will change your life
- How to end the war with your body—and rather, see it for what it is: beautiful, sacred, powerful, and so, so worthy of approval
- How to trade depletion, obligation, overwork, and resentment for gratitude-filled, passionate contribution to our families, communities, and society
- Why a woman’s sensual awareness is critical for her spiritual, intellectual, and emotional health
- What’s ahead on the next frontier of feminism—and how you can help make it happen
- And oh so much, much more"
4. Let It Out By Katie Dalebout
h how I adore this book. I always wanted to be a personal who journaled but each time I would sit down to write I literally couldn't. I would write something like this: Dear Diary, today is great and I love everyone and everything is rainbows and butterflies. Basically I would write a bunch of BS like someone was going to open my journal and read it and I wanted it to look pretty.
So when I found this book I freaked out with pure excitement because I was like OMG, YES. This book will guide me through it, and it did.
Let It Out provides you with 55 journaling prompts that help you, well, let it out. She has prompts for pretty much everything. I began to write my real, raw and honest thoughts and ideas. I worked through heartbreak and so many emotions and by using this book.
My first journaling prompt with it I choose was "The F Word Throw Down". I thought it had something to do with the actual F word, spoiler: it doesn't. F as in forgiveness, this one prompt helped me work through a friendship that had ended and I was able to rebuild it by using the tools she laid out for me.
If you want to journal but don't know where to begin, I highly recommend this book. Even if you're a journaling pro, this book has so many beautiful opportunities to learn more about who we are and let ALL of the things in our brains out.
5. The Desire Map By Danielle LaPorte
THIS book, omg. Yes. ALL OF THE YES. Ugh. Where do I even begin?
Quick overview: This book is designed to help you create goals with soul. How do you want to feel? What will you do each day to help you feel the way you want to feel?
"Unapologetically passionate and with plenty of warm wit, LaPorte turns the concept of ambition inside out and offers an inspired, refreshingly practical workbook for using the Desire Map process:
- Identify your "core desired feelings" in every life domain: livelihood & lifestyle, body & wellness, creativity & learning, relationships & society, and essence & spirituality
- Create practical "Goals with Soul" to generate your core desired feelings
- Why easing up on your expectations actually liberates you to reach your goals
- Self-assessment quizzes, worksheets, and complete Desire Mapping tools for creating the life you truly long for"
Even down to the way she writes, you feel like she's your friend, and so you connect even more to the book and the journey of connecting to your core desired feelings.
IT'S A MUST.
One day I'll make a list of all of the Brene books and teaching that changed my life, but let's just start here.
This actually isn't a book, I listened to this on Audible and being able to connect to her in this way was just what I needed to absorb her teachings through shame, vulnerability, courage and connection.
These teachings allowed me to stop putting on a front and walk in my truth. I don't really know how else to put this other than, you must read this.
HIGHLIGHTS (from amazon)
- Cultivating shame resilience-the key to developing a sense of worth and belonging.
- Vulnerability as the origin point for innovation, adaptability, accountability, and visionary leadership.
- Our emotional armory - how we use perfectionism, numbing, and other tactics to avoid feeling vulnerable.
- The myths of vulnerability - common misconceptions about weakness, trust, and self-sufficiency.
- Discovering your vulnerability armor - recognizing what makes us shut down, and how we can change.
- The 10 guideposts of wholehearted living - essential skills for becoming fully engaged in life.
- Six hours of stories, warm humor, and transformative insights for living a life of courage, authenticity, and compassion from Dr. Brené Brown.